Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Response to "The Path of Needles or Pins: Little Red Riding Hood"

I did not care much about this version of the story. I thought the part where the wolf eats the grandmother and saves some of her flesh and blood a little to gory for students. I did notice that a lot of the information in the story relates to life at that time particularly for the women. For example: The women/laundresses who helped the little girl cross the water but sank or drowned the wolf is representative of women's labor at that time. I also did not care for the sexual conotation implied by the little girl stripping her clothes and throwing them away just to climb in with the wolf. This seemed more of a story intended for older students maybe high school age. Just my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. David I'm on board with you all the way. I was gonna read this to my kids at home but decided against it because of all the gore.

    ReplyDelete