Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chapter 9-Non Fiction

Nonfiction literature encompasses nonfiction or informational books as well as biographies. These types of books get us wondering about certain things. I found the elements of nonfiction interesting. I didn't know that the format of the book is how it works as a whole. Some of the elements are format (size, shape, book covers, endpapers, typeface, and distinctive markings, Visual information, Access Features, Accuracy, Style, and Organization.
I also didn't know like fiction that there were som many different types. The different types include: concpet books, informational picture storybooksp, photographic essays, survey books, specialized books, journals, diaries, sketchbooks and documents, life-cycle books, Activity/craft, experiment and how to books, identification books/field guides, reference books and biographies.
I also find in interesting and helpful that each chapter provides a guideline for choosing literature. This guideline can be found on page 237.
I also liked the use of graphic organizers. children can use them to document the information that they have gathered reading nonfiction books. I have observed the use of the KWL Chart, the comparison charts, and the semantic mapping in my wife's kindergarten classroom. She is a strong believer in graphic organizers.
Great and informative Chapter.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there are so many different types of nonfiction literature either! I especially find the experiment and how to books a surprise because I never thought of them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lots of great information. I can use this in the future. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete